• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 21, 2018

    Cryptocurrency Daily General Discussion - March 21, 2018

    Cryptocurrency Daily General Discussion - March 21, 2018


    Daily General Discussion - March 21, 2018

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 11:12 PM PDT

    Welcome to the Daily General Discussion thread. Please read the disclaimer, guidelines, and rules before participating.


    Disclaimer:

    Though karma rules still apply, moderation is less stringent on this thread than on the rest of the sub. Therefore, consider all information posted here with several liberal heaps of salt, and always cross check any information you may read on this thread with known sources. Any trade information posted in this open thread may be highly misleading, and could be an attempt to manipulate new readers by known "pump and dump (PnD) groups" for their own profit. BEWARE of such practices and excercise utmost caution before acting on any trade tip mentioned here.

    PnDs and brigades are not sanctioned by the mod team in any way as they violate rule III. If you discover this thread is being used for these activities, bring it to the mod teams's notice via the modmail.


    Guidelines:

    • Questions, debates, meta issues, etc are all welcome.
    • Breaking news should be posted separately from this thread.

    Rules:

    • All sub rules apply in this thread. The prior exemption for karma and age requirements is no longer in effect.
    • Discussion topics must be related to cryptocurrency.
    • Comments will be sorted by newest first.

    Resources and Tools:

    • To view live streaming comments for this thread, click here. Account permissions are required to post comments through Reddit-Stream.com.
    • Click the RES subscribe button below if you would like to be notified when comments are posted.
    • Consider checking out our Weekly Skeptics Thread for discussion focused solely on critical analysis. Click here and select the latest thread on the search listing.


    Thank you in advance for your participation. Enjoy!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    ICON (ICX) will be Airdropped and Listed on Bithumb - one of Korea’s largest exchanges. This will be the first Korean listing.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 12:48 AM PDT

    The Nano Roadmap

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 04:16 PM PDT

    Governments trying to regulate crypto

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 11:58 PM PDT

    IOTA's Tangle Combined With Ethereum's Smart Contracts? Meet Oyster Protocol.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 12:17 AM PDT

    ICO Crowdsales No Longer Open to the Crowds — Steemit

    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 01:55 AM PDT

    BREAKING NEWS: G20 Considers Crypto To Be An Asset Rather Than A Currency

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 07:45 AM PDT

    Enjin and Unity Technologies Advance True Item Ownership Through Asset Store Partnership

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 11:52 PM PDT

    BMW confirms CarVertical does NOT have a partnership with BMW!

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 09:13 AM PDT

    Fujitsu presents IOTA usecase at Hannover Messe 2018

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 11:56 AM PDT

    Why I bought crypto (alot) of it.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 02:43 AM PDT

    I don't like this life, waking up in the morning, force feeding, forcing almost everything until bedtime at night, when I get to be with my sweet wife.

    This world and it's doctrine are all BS. All that is real is love and family. I love my wife and she is the sweetest person in the world who I want to spend every second of life with.

    Working, making money, these things don't concern me anymore. When I was young I wanted to be rich. Now I know it's because people have told me I should be. I studied. I am working, it sucks. It isn't real. Being on a beach, feeling the water, swimming in the waves, holding my wife, looking into her eyes, that's real. None of this other BS.

    I don't want to be a sheep anymore. I want money to survive. I want money to travel and be free to do whatever I want.

    Now before you guys go around saying that I'm lazy (probably the ones who think this life is real) just think again.

    I'm not lazy. I've never been. This isn't about wanting to do nothing at all. I want to do something worthwhile. Something for me and my family. Not just blind following of the world and it's insane rituals.

    I've had enough now. And that's why I bought crypto. I believe in it. And I believe it'll change our lives, for the better. No, I don't want lambos, mansions . I just want my life back...

    What do you all think? Am I being a dick head?

    submitted by /u/cdb9990
    [link] [comments]

    ARK Hires Leading French Communication Agency — MCBG Conseil - Through a new partnership with a French public relations leader MCBG Conseil, ARK is bringing their name, reputation, and integrity to the greater blockchain industry by pushing for common sense regulation within France & EU.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 02:12 AM PDT

    MGMT shows Coinbase + Blockfolio Apps during concert

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 10:56 AM PDT

    $300M in Tether has been printed. First in quite some time.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 12:30 PM PDT

    Bitcoin spikes as G-20 expresses no desire for crypto oversight (Current price BTC = 9,100 USD and other coins following 'the green signs')

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 10:22 PM PDT

    Liechtenstein citizens now able to buy Crypto directly from the banks

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 01:07 PM PDT

    Bought my first cryptocurrency!

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 03:20 PM PDT

    I had $200 sitting in GDAX for a few weeks. I didn't know if I actually wanted to go through with it, but then there was the big dip on Saturday.

    So, I put a limit order on ETH and bought $200 worth when it was at $520 ETH/USD.

    The scary part is that I deposited another $200 into GDAX!

    submitted by /u/geolectric
    [link] [comments]

    Alts bear market is over and I am not the only one saying it...

    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 01:22 AM PDT

    Are the banks trying to get us to think we don't need decentralised cryptocurrencies? As far as I am aware bitcoin was born from the financial meltdown of '08 so we can free ourselves from the the 1%'ers controlling our financial system not so muh money can transfer fast!

    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 12:04 AM PDT

    Dear Journalists, we need to talk. (an open letter)

    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 03:43 AM PDT

    Dear Journalists,

    We appreciate your interest in this revolutionary technology that, you seem to agree with, will change the world.

    After watching last nights interview of Dominik Schiener by your German colleague Mr. Lanz, it´s clear that we need to talk. This shouldn't come as a surprise to you. This has been a long time coming, yesterday was just the final straw. And it´s not about IOTA, this happens with any crypto you talk about. We find it mind boggling that smart journalists such as yourselves can not wrap your head around what makes this so revolutionary, that you can´t be bothered to get some simple facts right and that you clearly don´t understand what the most newsworthy part of the story is.

    I´m not talking about mining or the fact that you can´t comprehend why you "can´t touch the coins". I know it makes for nice talk show banter and this is why you usually spend most of the time talking/writing about this (yuuuge processing power, yuuuge electricity consumption). Please understand that the real paradigm shift of crypto and DLT tech goes much deeper and means nothing short of a radical change to the way we do business.

    A protocol project, like Ethereum or IOTA, is not a startup/for-profit/corporation. Full stop. It is not owned by the founders. They do not own shares in it, they do not have a profit incentive in the traditional sense. That´s why it´s called a paradigm shift. It´s much, much bigger than creating the next <INSERT UNICORN NAME HERE>. Since you asked: Now, in the new world, it´s all about network effects. It´s about creating something that is owned and operated by the commons and can be accessed and used by all. It´s about creating something yuuuge (see there is your keyword, now you can run with the real story) that provides a service or utility that is so valuable to so many people around the world that the founders and everyone else participating in the network are still rewarded with a large financial gain.

    Just imagine what it would be like if you could own a stake of 0,1% of the global telephone network. How valuable would that be? I know, you will say it´s not possible to own a share of that. But that´s exactly how it works with crypto and that´s exactly why this will be so disruptive. Wouldn´t you agree that this is a much more interesting story then talking about how much energy mining wastes? And wouldn´t you agree that building such a new "telephone network" is much bigger then covering a startup inventing the next fax machine (a reference to the next <INSERT UNICORN NAME HERE> mentioned above)? Joel Monegro described this to the point in Fat Protocols.

    And you know what? This is just one tiny angle of this. I don´t want to bore you, I know you have a lot of other really, really important stories to cover, so I will leave it at this one example. If I peaked your curiosity and should you need help understanding more aspects of the true impact of this tech you are welcome to read up on some of the links I have embedded in this letter. Or you can always ask anybody on Reddit. And I do mean anybody. We´re all happy to help. We can´t shut up talking about crypto when somebody asks us. Even if no ones asks us. We are all Dan´s.

    Why don´t you try it sometimes, you might still learn a thing or two and you will be better at doing your job.

    Sincerely,

    We, the people passionate about crypto and DLT.

    P.S.: I know you like short and sweet, so here is one more quickie by Naval Ravikant

    submitted by /u/ethfiend2064
    [link] [comments]

    Peter Thiel CNBC Video: “I’m Long Bitcoin and Neutral to Skeptical About Almost Everything Else (With Some Exceptions). Bitcoin Best Use Case is Store of Value Similar to Gold. Bet on the Biggest.” March 15, 2018

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 07:28 AM PDT

    Vitalik Buterin: The Best Thing to Donate Money to is The Fight Against Aging (read Ending Aging by Aubrey de Grey).

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 12:37 PM PDT

    Verge Subreddit is banning people for criticism of the dev team. My friend got banned for pretty legitimate criticism.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 12:55 PM PDT

    Very good advice

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 10:07 PM PDT

    I'm writing my undergrad thesis on Bitcoin and I'd love any input/advice you all might have for me. (Details in comments) (Crosspost /r/Bitcoin)

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 09:13 PM PDT

    Hey guys.

    I'm in my senior year of my undergrad for economics and I chose to write my thesis on cryptocurrency. Originally I wanted to have a really wide scope and determine if any cryptocurrencies (BTC, ETH, LTC were the 3 I was going to focus on) would become widespread/global currencies. However, my professor correctly pointed out that that was a very wide scope and I needed to narrow down my focus.

    Essentially, my aim is to analyze how the costs and payoffs of mining Bitcoin affect the supply, and how that could possibly affect to Bitcoin becoming a widely accepted currency. I chose Bitcoin because I found the most information on it and it's the most recognizable cryptocurrency.

    Currently, I have the factors affecting supply as follows:

    • Energy costs: using average of monthly residential and commercial rates of electricity in the US (I'm using the average of the two)

    • Reward/payoff for mining: fees per block? (I'm not sure if I should use daily fees from here or something from here or total transaction fees)

    • Rate of mining: average capacity of high end GPUs (measured in hash rate). Please correct me if this is CPUs. I'm also debating whether to include ASICs in this or if that would be too much.

    • Cost of GPUs: average price of aforementioned GPUs (Again, correct me if this is CPUs, I'm not a miner and this is the first real research I've done on this)

    • Energy use: Per day, running 24 hrs/day, given a constant average hash rate

    • If I can find a way to incorporate Moore's Law into the analysis, I will.

    All of this will be measured how it affects the supply (Block rate). This will be done through regression. I'll also discuss the limited supply and what could potentially happen once mining stops.

    I aim to conclude with some predictions and discussion of other factors that influence adoption of cryptocurrency (i.e government regulation/opposition, technological limitations, interactions with the banking system, more if I have time.)

    Please correct me if you see any flaws in my outline. Thanks for taking the time to read through this, I love this community and really believe that crypto can have real benefits besides simple investing and is here to stay.

    submitted by /u/foxy_on_a_longboard
    [link] [comments]

    China’s Crypto Innovators Not Fazed By Bans Or Strict Regulations, See ‘Promising Future’

    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 06:16 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment