• Breaking News

    Friday, March 23, 2018

    Cryptography New to crypto, any resource suggestions?

    Cryptography New to crypto, any resource suggestions?


    New to crypto, any resource suggestions?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 11:26 AM PDT

    A recent college graduate who is recently interested in cryptography. I have a degree in mathematics and studied more pure theory and less application into real world. Was wondering if there were any books or other sources that would be good to get started with? Would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/kovvi
    [link] [comments]

    What every crypto implementer should know about computers?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 07:11 AM PDT

    I've been asked to teach a bunch of cryptographers (the mathy kind) about implementing crypto. This is a can of worms, because you need to know quite a bit about computer architecture to make the algorithm fast and resistant to attacks (eg. cache eviction, etc).

    So, I'm trying to come up with some topics to talk about. I was going to start with a high level overview of computer architecture. But once that's done, I'm not sure what else to talk about. Cryptanalysis is a topic I could venture into, but it's also quite large. Any suggestions?

    EDIT: Feel free to link papers on this subject.

    submitted by /u/Semaphor
    [link] [comments]

    Does OAuth 1.0a support SHA256 for HMAC? (x-posted from r/cryptography)

    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 12:07 PM PDT

    I was looking at implementing OAuth 1.0a, but was wondering whether or not it supported SHA256 for the HMAC signatures?

    submitted by /u/stephenliang
    [link] [comments]

    How to calculate the period of Blum Blum Shub

    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 06:12 AM PDT

    I'm preparing a presentation on random number generators for a group of high school kids, and part of the presentation is demonstrating Blum Blum Shub. In that demonstration, I would like to show how to calculate the period of the BBS generator when "p" and "q" are known.

    According to Wikipedia:

    gcd(φ(p), φ(q)) should be small (this makes the cycle length large).

    But then later in the same article:

    We can expect to get a large cycle length for those small numbers, because gcd(φ(p-1), φ(q-1))=2.

    It seems to be the former statement about gcd(φ(p), φ(q)) being small is incorrect, and the latter about gcd(φ(p-1), φ(q-1)) being small the right one. If I know "p" and "q", then I know the factorization of (p-1)×(q-1).

    But I'm not sure how to take it from here. With the requirement that the initial seed x₀ being coprime to p×q, then x₀ may or may not be coprime to (p-1)×(q-1). That's seems relevant, but I'm not sure.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/atoponce
    [link] [comments]

    Feedback/review on implementations of HMAC and HKDF in Rust.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 05:33 AM PDT

    Hello crypto community!

    I have been implementing HMAC and HKDF in Rust recently. I have have no formal training in cryptography, yet. My HKDF passes all test vectors for HKDF with HMAC-SHA256 in RFC 5869 and my HMAC passes all test vectors from the RFC 4231.

    I was hoping that someone in here, would be willing to take a look at my implementations and provide any kind of feedback. The code is here on Github.

    My two main concerns are: 1) Is my function to compare in constant time correct? 2) Is it useless to use double HMAC verification, as described here by NCC, and compare those in constant time? Should I stick to only one of them?

    I unfortunately don't have money to pay anyone.

    submitted by /u/xwyvii
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment