• Breaking News

    Monday, May 31, 2021

    Ethereum Daily Discussion Thread

    Ethereum Daily Discussion Thread


    Daily Discussion Thread

    Posted: 30 May 2021 11:00 PM PDT

    Welcome to the Daily Discussion. Please read the disclaimer, guidelines, and rules before participating.

    Disclaimer:

    Though karma rules still apply, moderation is less active on this thread than on the rest of the sub. Therefore, consider all information posted here with several liberal heaps of salt, and always cross check any information you may read on this thread with known sources.

    Rules:

    • All sub rules apply in this thread.
    • Discussion topics must be related to Ethereum.
    • Behave with civility and politeness. Do not use offensive, racist or homophobic language.
    • Comments will be sorted by newest first.

    Useful Links:

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    A pilot program is now providing crop insurance to over 10,000 farmers in Kenya, powered by Ethereum and Chainlink

    Posted: 31 May 2021 08:54 AM PDT

    Ethereum node will be delivered by SpaceX at International Space Station

    Posted: 31 May 2021 04:59 PM PDT

    Ethereum transaction fees reach lowest levels since January - Crypto DeFinance

    Posted: 31 May 2021 08:46 AM PDT

    Over 5 Million ETH, Worth $13 Billion, Has Been Deposited to the Staking Contract

    Posted: 31 May 2021 03:22 AM PDT

    zkSync 2.0: Hello Ethereum!

    Posted: 31 May 2021 02:19 PM PDT

    Ex-Head of China’s Digital Yuan Effort Says CBDCs Could Operate on Ethereum

    Posted: 31 May 2021 01:17 PM PDT

    Why the hate on Polygon?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 07:05 PM PDT

    I noticed a lot of users on this sub have a bias against Polygon (matic) and I'm curious to know why? I understand it's not the favoured rollup solution to scaling but at the end of the day they've released a working solution that solves a big problem. And have found a way to at least utilise ethereum's security.

    If it wasn't for Polygon, I know a lot of people wouldn't have been able to get into DeFi due to high fees and would still be waiting for rollups to get adopted. I don't think it's justified to shit on a team that's helping to increase DeFi adoption. Plus, I'm pretty sure most people barely understand (or care) about the different between scaling solutions like ZK rollups, optimistic rollups, or commit chains.

    submitted by /u/stackup_
    [link] [comments]

    Taxes in Crypto

    Posted: 31 May 2021 06:52 PM PDT

    Can someone explain to me when you get taxed in Crypto?

    Is it directly at the point of sale or buy on the exchange?

    Or is it at some other time?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/ComprehensiveRead161
    [link] [comments]

    Is EIP-1559 still set to be deployed in July?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 02:33 PM PDT

    If so, does anyone have a estimated date?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/BrownBear521
    [link] [comments]

    If you all keep pushing and supporting ETHEREUM will be the next apple everything is build on ETHEREUM

    Posted: 30 May 2021 09:43 PM PDT

    We Made a DeFi DApp - Open Beta on the Ropsten Testnet!

    Posted: 31 May 2021 09:58 AM PDT

    Hello r/ethereum!

    We are Nick and Chris, two long-term ETH HODLers and software developers who want to help build useful DeFi DApps. That's why we created https://diffex.io, a smart contract DApp that allows you to write, sell, buy, and execute options contracts for ERC20 tokens. Currently, we have launched a beta version of the Dapp on the Ropsten testnet that you can try without using any real ETH or ERC20 tokens. For this beta version, we created a free ERC20 token called DFTX (DiffEx Test) that can be used as the underlying asset for calls and puts. To get some, join our discord server: https://discord.gg/fZksGrs89W or telegram: https://t.me/diffexio. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them here or on the r/diffexio subreddit!

    Take a look at our whitepaper:

    https://diffex.io/whitepaper.pdf

    To use the DApp, activate MetaMask and head to:

    https://diffex.io/dashboard/

    submitted by /u/ethodlers
    [link] [comments]

    How profitability is more in 3GH/s miner than 110TH/s miner?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 08:15 PM PDT

    Hi All On MinerStat, Comparing the new upcoming Antminer E9 which has 3GH/s and the Antminer S19 Pro which has 110TH/s, how come the profitability is much much higher in E9 than S19 pro? S19 Pro has more hash power than E9 right?

    Can someone please explain.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/sandy5599
    [link] [comments]

    Knight of the Dip

    Posted: 31 May 2021 08:07 PM PDT

    It was May 23rd and I'd fallen asleep ignoring notifications chiming in from half a dozen phone apps until I couldn't ignore them anymore. My eyes were still adjusting to the phone's light when I began scrolling, and I assumed an executive order had just come down banning Bitcoin. The price action certainly reflected it. My portfolio had lost a staggering amount and my girlfriend was calling me:

    "What's going on?" she frantically said, "It won't stop!"

    I didn't say anything because I was busy looking for the catalyst. But all I found was China FUD certain I'd missed something.

    "Hello!" she screamed.

    "I'll call you back in five minutes." I needed to buy the dip.

    "But—"

    I hung up and stared into the wall. The radio silence of friends was telling. Clearly they were already ahead of me. I'd actually practiced and prepared for this very emergency. As an OG, I do keep funds on a CEX (CoinBase in this case) all in USDC stablecoins ready for marching orders as circumstances demand. I never use CoinBase by the way, except for idling these interest-earning stablecoin troops for deployment. The battle wouldn't last long though, and I was having trouble using my phone with such shaky hands. Already four different apps were notifying me that Bitcoin was bleeding at $30k and its bellwether brother Ether had been cut-down below $2k. A massacre of bloody red ink. This is where my combat training paid-off. The buy and liquidation list went as follows:

    Buy:

    • ZED.RUN Horses
    • Polygon (MATIC)
    • Uniswap
    • Ether
    • Maker

    Liquidate:

    • GOVI
    • All small protective options positions

    This was going to take time. Probably 45 minutes or so, ultimately costing $1k in gas fees. Didn't matter, the Chinese had reached our shores and were about to kick down my damn door. My girlfriend tried calling again so I blocked her, temporarily—there was no time to waste.

    My laptop showed 80% when I tore it from its wall-charger and clicked the MetaMask icon while walking to the adjacent living room. The coffee table, littered with take-out boxes, served as my desk. My apartment is too small for a worthwhile desk, or one of those glass table's for two. I pushed everything to the ground to make way for Mac. And it's funny, because just then I heard commotion in the unit above me, and I couldn't help but wonder if my neighbors up there were looking through their blinds for the Chinese too. Anyway, crypto kept falling. A Twitter message popped up from a YouTube shill I follow that said:

    Alt season is over.

    For celebrity shitcoins I certainly hope so. I considered pausing everything just to unfollow him.

    So I was able to liquidate GOVI. This was the most important thing. GOVI is the governance token for the CVI (crypto volatility index) by the way. And my god had it soared. Crypto volatility was at 175 (and would later peak at 190). For reference, 2018 and the March 2020 Covid dip peaked volatility around 170. It's no secret both times correlated with extraordinary buying opportunities. So it's easy to imagine how important a dip like this was to get. The GOVI I swapped for big swingin' dick Ether, and I wouldn't touch it. Then it was on to Sparrow and I closed the OTM covered calls which were now trading near intrinsic value. Crypto's crash was accelerating though, and I switched back to my phone. CoinBase took forever to load, and when it did, it might as well of returned a 404. Screwed. I couldn't buy anything. The desktop site was no help either. I couldn't even send the stablecoin troops to MetaMask. Back on the laptop, I connected to Opensea (an NFT marketplace) to check the prices of ZED.RUN horses. I found some from a great race class, my eyes locking on a teal colored one named Sudden Insight. This stallion was $5000 only 48 hours gone by, now $2200 based on my quick ETH calculation. But CoinBase was still down and there wasn't anything I could do but watch MATIC bottom at .76, UNI rebound off its 200 dma and MKR say enough is enough. Unbelievable. I called my friend Mike to commiserate, but his phone went to voicemail after two rings. A search of Twitter found everyone had the same CoinBase problem, with some OG having the definitive say:

    This is why you don't keep money on centralized exchanges.

    No shit you rich bastard—which I suppose made my transgression hell-worthy. Then came the pounding on my front door.

    Kristin was standing on the other side with the attitude of an owner who's dog I'd just kicked.

    "The fuck!"

    She had no makeup on and just biked ten blocks. I didn't say anything and motioned her inside, hoping the exaggerated look of horror on my face was enough to appease her anger. I'm the one that got her in to this. She was content working a 9-5 marketing job that paid $20/hr before I expanded her mind with the promises of DeFi, NFT's, Web 3.0, and ERC20 hegemony. She invested all $10k of her savings (ETH, BTC, YFI, respectively) and since last August, all had been bliss. Now she was just above break-even. She couldn't buy the dip.

    "I know, Kristen relax."

    This was her first selloff. Must've been traumatic. I remember my first in 2018. It was the end of the world. Through all this one thing was certain: I'd never use a CEX ever again—save for conversion to fiat. I led her to the couch where she sat disoriented, and I explained in a white heat what was about to happen:

    Volatility is too high, it won't stay here long, and all the 2x-10x leverage is being liquidated (I spun the computer around to show her some activity on DeFi), the futures premium is at a six month low and contracts about to be in backwardation. Options sellers and buyers will rebalance themselves to safe positions, and remember Kristen, all the weak hands will be shaken from the market, but greed won't be. Those who haven't sold through this, never will. The crypto fear index should register an all-time high and by next week you'll see a historic amount of fiat and stablecoins on exchanges (DEX and CEX) waiting for an excuse to bring a tidal wave of money back in. At worst we endure a crypto winter until July, accumulating in the process. Selling now and walking away would be the biggest mistake of your life. I'm here with you. God I felt like those cheap crypto cartoons on YouTube and hated myself, at least until CoinBase went live again and I stopped the Gettysburg Address to finally get to work.

    Later that night she took me deep enough that her lips felt the sandpaper of my recent shave. And here we are.

    submitted by /u/Shatter_Hand
    [link] [comments]

    Migrating to Uniswap V3: AKA Things to do when Ethereum (ETH) gas fees are low!

    Posted: 31 May 2021 04:25 AM PDT

    Do you ever see ethereum hitting 100k ?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 10:08 PM PDT

    Personally I think maybe but not in the near future .

    submitted by /u/Kadakt
    [link] [comments]

    And Then There Was FUD - The Daily Gwei #258

    Posted: 31 May 2021 08:12 AM PDT

    Question about uniqueness of keys/addresses in different derivation paths

    Posted: 31 May 2021 03:22 PM PDT

    I've been trying for the past few weeks to recover some ethereum that I forgot I had. It's a pretty significant amount (5 figures USD). Trouble is I only know the addresses right now. I don't remember what wallet/service they were associated with. I do have a bunch of mnemonic recovery phrases for various coins (most of which are poorly labeled or not labeled at all because I am great at keeping records, obviously).

    Recently I was using Ian Coleman's Bip39 tool to check some recovery seed phrases with various derivation paths, and for a second I thought I had found one of the relevant addresses/Private keys, but it turned out to just be a close match. For example if my target address started with 0x12345abXXXXXXX... the address I found was 0x12345baXXXXXXX (XXX characters are where the similarities end)

    So my question is, is that just bad luck/crazy coincidence? Or could it be that addresses generated by the same seed can be similar to others at different derivation paths for some mathematical reason I don't understand? Also, if the answer is the former, what is the probability of that happening (roughly)?

    I have tried researching this but haven't been able to find any info related to this specific type of thing (none that I have been able to understand or recognize, at least).

    If anyone here can shed some light on this for me I would very much appreciate it.

    Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/ibearbadnews
    [link] [comments]

    What are your favorite non-DeFi apps?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 03:12 PM PDT

    A lot of the focus of the Ethereum coverage focuses on its financial services. I'm curious if people here use other dapps and what you like.

    For example, I've been active on Audius and and testing NFT platforms like Foundation and Aito (no affiliation with any of those). I'm curious what you're using. Please share links!

    submitted by /u/mekilat
    [link] [comments]

    Interested in learning Solidity to make DAPPS

    Posted: 31 May 2021 01:35 PM PDT

    (Kind of) a social experiment: presenting a public decentralized canvas completely stored on the Ethereum Virtual Machine

    Posted: 31 May 2021 02:47 PM PDT

    Hi, do you folks remember the website from some years ago that was famous for selling its pixel spaces for advertisements? I was thinking about that recently and wondered how it would have looked like if it were created today, in the era of the Blockchain and NFTs.

    I initially tried issuing an NFT for each pixel (or group of pixels) and smart contracts that would manage the repainting (so that anyone could resell the property of pixels and new owners repaint them), but it got complicated too quickly so didn't manage to finish it.. idk maybe I'll try again in the future.

    After this unsuccess, I was trying to think about a simpler way to obtain a similar result and I realized that the payload of ETH transactions alone could be used to send and store arbitrary data to the blockchain, and it would be trivial to implement, without smart contracts or anything else, so I absolutely wanted to try it that way: anyone could send a dummy transaction with the pixel colors encoded and change the public image. But how to behave in case of multiple transactions on the same block? It seemed fair to make it so that the highest tip would decide (starting from a minimum tip of 0.001 ETH).

    In other words, I ended up creating a website with a 100x100 pixels image saved in the Ethereum blockchain, where each 10x10 pixels block content is decided with an endless auction, in a similar fashion to NFTs, as I intended to do initially.

    Soo.. it is now online and functioning and the URL is https://www.ethpainting.com/

    What do you guys think about this website? Do you think is a cool little project or just a stupid useless thing I shouldn't have wasted time on? What could have I done better?

    submitted by /u/therthem7
    [link] [comments]

    Public Learning

    Posted: 31 May 2021 10:01 AM PDT

    Trying to understand the difference between earning interest on Celsius, BlockFi, etc. vice Proof of Stake (PoS) rewards. It appears that going the Interest route is on average .5% lower than PoS, but my ETH isn't locked for "x" months/years. So what are the advantages of PoS that I'm missing? Honest question, trying to learn publicly and respectfully.

    submitted by /u/Puzzleheaded_Arm_146
    [link] [comments]

    Why would anyone run a node before ETH2?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 07:56 PM PDT

    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what incentive currently exists to run a node? I know once ETH shifts to PoS 32 ETH is required to run a node, and the node operators will essentially take over the miners job, in turn earning themselves the tx fees. But currently, why would anyone run a node? Just a pet project?

    submitted by /u/roberthonker
    [link] [comments]

    Eth Staking Rewards and Penalties

    Posted: 31 May 2021 11:16 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Sorry if it has been posted already but does anyone knows the reward/penalty amount for staking say if you set up your own node/beacon with 32 eth?

    I understand if this is not yet known.

    submitted by /u/bloppiedo
    [link] [comments]

    Safest way to earn passive income on your crypto? (I am scared of staking or providing liquidity. Please change my mind)

    Posted: 31 May 2021 08:48 PM PDT

    Hi I understand crypto and I know the risks involved in doing anything with your coins

    Safest way possible is to just keep holding on exchange or wallet ... I have my coins exchange

    What is the safest way to earn passive income ... maybe I am misinformed about the risks ... please suggest the least risky way to earn passive income... Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Away-Entertainer-196
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment