• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 25, 2019

    Bitcoin Daily Discussion, August 25, 2019

    Bitcoin Daily Discussion, August 25, 2019


    Daily Discussion, August 25, 2019

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 12:00 AM PDT

    Please utilize this sticky thread for all general Bitcoin discussions! If you see posts on the front page or /r/Bitcoin/new which are better suited for this daily discussion thread, please help out by directing the OP to this thread instead. Thank you!

    If you don't get an answer to your question, you can try phrasing it differently or commenting again tomorrow.

    We have a couple chat rooms now!

    Please check the previous discussion thread for unanswered questions.

    submitted by /u/rBitcoinMod
    [link] [comments]

    Working Bitcoin Paper Wallet on Minecraft Server - Private Key protected by lava can be uncovered by owner

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 05:23 PM PDT

    BTC logo on Sky News

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 01:53 PM PDT

    This is the future

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 02:36 AM PDT

    The most high-effort Bitcoin scam I've ever seen on Reddit. wtf

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 07:29 PM PDT

    Middle East gets its first licensed bitcoin exchange

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 01:35 PM PDT

    A very sad and expensive lesson to learn

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 02:57 PM PDT

    Yesterday night, I had my bitcoin stolen. I had about ~.32 btc taken from my Exodus wallet. I'm unsure how it was taken. The transaction showed up on my Exodus wallet when I signed in, so I'm unsure if my recovery key or my private key was taken. It was about 95% of my crypto "portfolio".

    I had recently (03/19) been hacked, and nearly subject to a ransomware attack via my vnc server. Luckily, I stopped it before I lost anything. I'm unsure if they managed to get my wallet that way, or something, and just waited until now to take the funds. Or maybe someone's gained remote access to my PC now, although I wouldn't be able to tell. I had about 1 ltc in there as well, and that wasn't taken, so I'm unsure what to take from that.

    I thought I'd been very careful in general. I generated the wallet, and kept the recovery key on paper, and backed up the private key onto a usb. I 2FA everything online. I actually looked into 2FA for Exodus a while back, and saw they were thinking of implementing it, but never did. I wish I'd moved it somewhere else that did, but the convenience trumped the safety!

    Unfortunately, that was a lot of my savings, and I was checking on it to withdraw it to help with a deposit on a flat soon, but it'll have to wait quite a bit longer.

    There isn't much of a point to this post, besides venting my frustration. Try not to sacrifice safety for convenience, I guess?

    I wish I had an offline wallet with 2FA. I wish I had made new wallets, and reformatted my computer when I got hacked.

    I know some people have lost much more, but this is by far the worst financial thing that's ever happened to me, and fuck, it hurts.

    submitted by /u/Navajubble
    [link] [comments]

    Global adoption of bitcoin will never happen until the complexity of the UX is abstracted away.

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 02:12 AM PDT

    People I know can barely remember their passwords for sites they use. I am also sometimes guilty of this.

    Now they are supposed to remember a seed phrase, etc?

    Not gonna happen. Like it or not, to paraphrase Carlin, there are some dumb motherfuckers floating around.

    I'd consider myself in the mid-tier in terms of technical knowledge. I still answer basic questions routinely.

    People take their car in for service. The service is magically completed. The person doesn't understand how, what was done or even how a car works to begin with. H/she turns it on, pushes a pedal and it takes them to get their next burger.

    Most people do not understand how the internet, email or anything else works. They upload cat videos or of themselves being idiots or ugly, simple people and are called "influencers - Kardashians"

    Bitcoin must be made so simple that a Kardashian can use it. They are the epitome of American indulgence and stupidity.

    Until it's made idiot proof, bitcoin will never gain traction beyond where it currently is.

    That is my .02

    submitted by /u/deliver-truth
    [link] [comments]

    Mark Carney: dollar is too dominant and could be replaced by digital currency

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 02:27 AM PDT

    Saudi Arabia Warns its citizens from trading crypto and threatens a shitty coin.

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 05:45 PM PDT

    Saudi Arabia Warns its citizens from trading crypto and threatens a shitty coin.

    https://i.redd.it/0l7lbkz6shi31.jpg

    Ever since Dec, 2017. The Saudi Monetary Authority (SAMA) which is basically the central bank of Saudi Arabia has issued a public warning on Cryptocurrency trading stating anonymity as a reason.

    This has been an issue for Saudi citizens since everytime money is wired through a Saudi bank to any known exchange, the transaction gets rejected immediately, some banks even close accounts, and all credit card purchases are instantly denied. This leaves the Saudis with the options of Localbitcoin.com and personal meet-ups.

    Just 1 week ago, SAMA renewed their wanring from Crypto trading and specifically mentioned a shitty coin called CryptoRiyal http://cryptoriyal.io, since it is using the Saudi's flag and currency's name. This has made the crypto situation in Saudi Arabia even more complicated.

    Even though a neighbour country (Bahrain) has opened its official, licensed, and first crypto exchange, no Saudi wire transfer was ever allowed to pass through.

    The irony is that the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia have both agreed on creating their own cryptocurrency to be used for banks between the two countries, stating that this joint coin will be an alternative method of payment and there is no intention for it to replace the SAR and AED.

    whether or not oil money will ever get poured into Cryptoland remains to be seen.

    submitted by /u/Leader92
    [link] [comments]

    Adam Back: Anyone who bought into the big block forks, at rogerkver's urging, is a brokeG now.

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 06:50 AM PDT

    Paxful takes 0.0005 BTC (5 bucks) to send outgoing transactions, yet sends them at 12 sats/Byte

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 07:11 AM PDT

    Paxful takes 0.0005 BTC (5 bucks) to send outgoing transactions.

    They batch 12 transactions together, so 12 * 5 = 60 dollars.

    They send the transactions at 12 sats/Bytes, paying 0.0004 btc for the total transaction (4 dollars).

    So that's 54 dollars profit on the detriment of regular people who have wait 1-2 hours before their transactions confirm and still pay top dollar for it.

    Why is this allowed? Why is nobody talking about it?

    I made a post about it on /r/paxful, they deleted it a few hours later.

    Edit : Actually, it's 37 transactions batched together, which makes their profit 185 dollars instead of 60.

    submitted by /u/bitit_devil
    [link] [comments]

    Someone tried to scam me out of Bitcoin on TradingView

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 04:56 PM PDT

    i am a new tradingview user and i posted a few ideas when suddenly i get a message from a user named Ejaeva and the user has no reputation at all who was asking me to withdraw some bitcoin and said would pay me 0.05 btc for my help, well the user asked me to make an account on traxcoins which is only 3 days old according to whois and the peraon sent the funds to me and when i went to withdraw it told me to deposit 0.01 btc and i was paranoid all night until i searched up on google to shed some light on this and i found out that this was a huge scam and i did not know it until it was almost too late

    well now i know not to fall for this scam again and i did not actually send any funds to this site

    submitted by /u/TheTechGuy139
    [link] [comments]

    Question about only 21 million coins created

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 04:59 PM PDT

    We've all heard that btc is scarce and only 21 million will ever be produced? I'm aware of the concepts of the halvening, but still wondering what prevents a hacker getting into the code and changing 21 million to 50 million?

    This sounds like a stupid question, but I imagine there is a very detailed technical explanation out there.

    submitted by /u/lost_civilizations
    [link] [comments]

    Making a transaction both parties can't deny.

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 02:42 AM PDT

    I'm wondering about making a transaction both parties can't deny. My first thought is: Ask reciever for an adress. Send a small amount as check When confirmed by reciever send the total to SAME adress.

    My reasoning is, if the reciever confirmed the first small transaction to be recieved he can't deny that the second transaction did not arrive or was not his adress. Both transaction being visible on the blockchain prove it, having confirmed the first transaction being correct there is no denying possible?

    But every time I read about 'don't reuse an adress', wouldn't this be a, the only one?, reason to just do that excactly?

    This is of course with the thought of doing big transactions where I want to take no risk.

    Any other way to be sure the reciever can't deny the adress used was not his?

    I feel that the reasoning if the reciever sends an adress it's his responsibility to be correct nice, but it's my money that is being sent. And with above check I feel pretty safe I have all the evidence to prove the reciever to be wrong. I'm not sure if the reciever would make a 'mistake' in the sending of an adress It would be resolved that easy without this check?

    submitted by /u/Btcyoda
    [link] [comments]

    Hal Finney calculated $10M per coin days after the genesis block was mined

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 11:39 PM PDT

    I've seen a few posts about people using multiple hardware wallets - why not just use one?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 12:25 AM PDT

    Is data of a full node plathorm independent?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 03:04 AM PDT

    Say, I've download a full node on Linux server in the pruned mode. Once I've done that, can that pruned node/data be moved around and used on other server with other OS's with no problem? That is, on the servers with Windows, MacOs, FreeBsd, etc.... to run a full node in the pruned mode?

    In other words, is full node data, whether it be pruned or not - platform independent?

    submitted by /u/kakpokusayu
    [link] [comments]

    What's the deal with BlockFi?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 08:43 PM PDT

    Has anyone here used BlockFi? Their pitch seems attractive. Deposit coins, earn interest. I'm a big believer however in "not my keys, not my coins" so I'm hesitant to send my coins to another entity. Are they regulated like other financial services providers similar to a bank? Are they trustworthy? Anyone here have any first hand experience?
    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Stagetek
    [link] [comments]

    Forbes: Bitcoin's Bull Run Could Be Just Getting Started—Here's Why

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 01:42 PM PDT

    Okay, I gotta give credit where due, the year wait sucked but the Crypto Visa card is living up to the hype...

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 01:42 AM PDT

    Trezor or ledger?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 06:36 PM PDT

    So I recently found out that ledgers software is closed source while trezor is open source, I wanted to see what everyone thinks.

    submitted by /u/Haktir
    [link] [comments]

    �� Animated series "Bitcoin & Friends" returns with Episode 3 featuring Ross Ulbricht, The Origins of Silk Road, as well as Charlie Lee, the creator of Litecoin

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 11:59 AM PDT

    Someone sent me BTC with a 0.00000900 transaction fee, it's still not here after a day, is the low fee to blame?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 01:37 AM PDT

    Apparently the exchange they sent from calculated the fees and didn't even have an option to change them. Looking at the average recommended fees, it seems that this is incredibly low?

    Is this likely the reason why my coins still haven't arrived? How likely am I to get the coins in the next 24 hours with this transaction fee?

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/502cunt
    [link] [comments]

    What people waste money on:

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 03:26 AM PDT

    Tropical Storm Invest 98, followed by Tropical Storm Dorian.

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 02:31 AM PDT

    Is someone trying to tell us something?

    submitted by /u/Nietzsche_Strategy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment