• Breaking News

    Friday, March 30, 2018

    Cryptography Symmetric portion of modern GPG (MacOS)

    Cryptography Symmetric portion of modern GPG (MacOS)


    Symmetric portion of modern GPG (MacOS)

    Posted: 30 Mar 2018 01:37 AM PDT

    Hi Folks,

    I'm using:

    gpg (GnuPG/MacGPG2) 2.2.0 libgcrypt 1.8.1 Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. 

    Which I think is the latest version...

    Anyway, reading online and on wikipedia is seems that GPG uses CAST128 by default for the symmetric portion of its hybrid encryption.

    I don't want that, I want to use AES for obvious reasons (and was surprised this wasn't default tbh).

    Anyway, using verbose mode, my gpg version seems to be already using AES, is wikipedia wrong? I didn't do any config change:

    gpg: reading from 'test.png' gpg: writing to 'test.png.gpg' gpg: **RSA/AES256** encrypted for: "XX0C33DBA418FE79 blah@blah.com>" 
    submitted by /u/john_alan
    [link] [comments]

    Would there be intrinsic vulnerabilities on a sign-extending short key in a strong cryptosystem?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2018 01:30 PM PDT

    So I'm running through the math on this and I can't identify any problems: Suppose I'm okay with the 128 bits of effective security that ECC with a 256 bit key offers. However, suppose the cryptosystem that I want to use is based on ECC-521 implemented in hardware and uses a 512-bit private key.

    So, it seems to me that there would not be any intrinsic security problems using keccak512(p_256) to produce a derived p_512. I don't even see any real security problems using p_512=0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF | p_256. (as in, simply sign extend p_256 to 512 bits to produce my 512 bit key).

    The resulting key has only 256 bits of entropy not 512, but wouldn't it be at least as strong as ECC 256 even though it was operating in an ECC-521 field?

    If not, why not?

    submitted by /u/Steve132
    [link] [comments]

    Help with RSA Cipher

    Posted: 29 Mar 2018 07:45 AM PDT

    This is regarding a university topic not real world...

    If my keys modulus is 16bit in length, how many ASCII characters can I encrypt at one time. Does the message size have to be smaller than the modulus or can it be equal in bit length? This is assumed no padding is required.

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/christos-spiteri
    [link] [comments]

    Question about strong secure element for cryptography in wearables.

    Posted: 29 Mar 2018 05:08 AM PDT

    What secure element is best for wearable? I understand that Ledger Nano S uses ST31/STM32, Certification level: CC EAL5+ but what would be the best for apple watch or any other wearable watch/bands.

    submitted by /u/dld008
    [link] [comments]

    Just one QUIC bit

    Posted: 29 Mar 2018 04:58 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment